Friday, July 17, 2009

Delightful and curious treats

I work at "The Artisan Guild and Curiosity Shop" on Oxford Street.

We sell lots of crafty bits and pieces from local designers including Marsu Homme, Elke Kramer, 2 by Lyn&Tony, Matt Weston, Make Believe, St Augustine Academy, Emily Valentine and my label All Of Our Lives.

The bits and pieces are nestled in large glass cabinets amongst rare and curious hand selected vintage and antique pieces.

On the walls hang taxidermy animal heads, murdered/framed butterflies and beautiful b&w etchings.

I have a few favourite designers that are stocked at the store.....

1) Make Believe
These lovely girls (my "sisters") make wondrous floral necklaces and brooches out of hand-made fabric flowers that have been dipped in coloured resin. Their jewellery was featured on the runway in the RAFW09 Antipodium show (see image below)




2) 2 by Lyn & Tony

This Sydney-based duo is extremely talented. They're actually photographers, that woke up one morning and decided to become accessory designers. They incorporate a lot of leather into their pieces, as well as lush cottons and Italian mohair (see below)




3) Emily Valentine

This lady is crazy. Seriously, a crazy old lady. Emily Valentine is responsible for the deaths of a lot of animals.

From her website i quote:
"Over the last ten years I have developed my own technique and style using feathers from road kill, cat kill and dead pets. Recently I have moved into a new source of feathers. I have been trapping and killing the registered pest, the Indian Mynah bird"

This woman is gutless. A gutless, creative genius (see Mynah Bird Bra below)



Well, these are my treats from me to you for tonight.

With Love - Sweet Dreams

XX


.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers